February 7, 2008



My youngest subject, my son, is ten months old, and I think he's getting used to the idea of a camera pointed in his direction. Interestingly, I just watched an online video where world class photojournalist, David Burnett, is speaking to the 14th Joop Swart 2007 Master Class in Amsterdam about his journey over the span of a 40yr career. The work that he does with a 4-by-5-inch Graflex Speed Graphic camera is quite amazing...all while his colleagues are shooting with 300mm/2.8 glass. In the 90 minute (worth it) video he mentions that as a professional photographer it is often the case that he forgets to capture those moments with his friends/family and says he really wishes he could go back and grab some of those.


How many of us keep our cameras out and ready when something great happens in the household or when we're out with our fam/friends? The "hold on, let me get the camera" mode doesn't capture many great moments at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment